Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

5 Things for Friday, 1st Edition

*1*
I just finished this book... and I Loved it. I found it fascinating and it resonated truth.
I LOVE this excerpt from it....

"There once was a group of women studying the book of Malachi in the Old Testament. As they were studying chapter three, they came across verse 3, which says, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." This verse puzzled the women, and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. Once of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next bible study. 


"The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot-the she thought again about the verse, that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined.


"The man answered "Yes", and explained that he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be damaged. 


"The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"


"He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy. When I see my image in it."


"If today you are feeling the heat of the world's fire, just remember that God has His eyes on you."


***


This puts in context the scripture found in Alma 5:14

"And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received His image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"


Truly when we are put in that refiners fire we then are able to develop those God like attributes, as all the dross is burned out of our lives. Love it.

*2*
I have been thinking a lot about how I can strengthen my family. I have realized that I must know the threats to the family that are out there, so that our family can stay clear of those threats while seeking to defend the family on all walks of life. (This is in part why I started this blog). A careful study of the doctrines of the family can help focus our priorities and labors where they are needed most. We gain power when we KNOW these eternal doctrines. This quote helped put this into perspective...

"This generation will be called upon to defend the doctrine of the family as never before. If they don’t know the doctrine, they can’t defend it." Sister Julie Beck (Teaching the Doctrine of the Family)

*3*
President Ezra Taft Benson said...
“No more sacred word exists in secular or holy writ than that of mother. There is no more noble work than that of a good and God-fearing mother.”


Wow. This really hits home to me. The role of the mother is very very important. I never realized, until I became one myself! I can see how the adversary makes some of his biggest attacks directed at motherhood. These deceptions take on all different shapes and sizes. It makes me think of this wonderful post.


*4*
There are some super fun ideas on this blog of 100+ ways your family can make a difference. Go HERE to find out how!



*5*
I am getting pretty excited to go to the Lds Holistic Living Conference coming in June. I found their website a few months ago and have loved listening to some of the past conference downloads. I would highly recommend them. 
I love the conference because it helps families take charge of their health and lifestyle. And to me, nothing feels as good as having knowledge to help my family recover from illness, and avoid it all together! I truly believe when we gain knowledge the Holy Ghost can help direct us more easily to know how to bless our families. So, check this awesome conference out!


1 comment:

  1. I love that quote by sister beck, it is so true. Sometimes we may think we know the doctrine, but then as we study it we realize we were barely scraping the surface. What a neat blog you have started!

    ReplyDelete